Monday, September 17, 2012

Precious Little Life

A heart wrenching story out of Calgary deals with the neglect of a two year old so extreme it left the child brain dead, and an Alberta judge ruling that the child should be taken off of life support.

It seems the legal wrangling has gotten more press than the unfortunate abuse of a child.

As a father, my soul weeps when I hear of children, particularly of babies and toddlers being abused and neglected.

The Phoenix Sinclair inquiry, which is on hiatus because of legal doings reverberates with me much like this recent incident of child abuse and neglect, and all I can think about is why would you treat your child like that?

After my first child was born, I remember seeing a poster in the hall of the hospital that read "I cry for lot's of reasons, but never to make you angry".

Every parent has their patience tested, and depending on the child, who knows how frequently you have to put your hands in your pockets and count to ten.

Clearly the parents in the cases of abuse that I have mentioned have more than just patience issues.

Family background, poverty, racism, addiction, and the abusers having been abused are probably common themes to these sad stories.

The state has no right to come into your home and take your child away until their is a problem.

With that in mind, let's tackle the themes I've mentioned for they are the harbinger of the tragic stories of child neglect and abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment