Monday, September 17, 2012

Over one year has passed ...

It has been nearly one and a half years since I finished my last, and I do mean last run in post secondary education and I still have yet to achieve any gainful employment from it.

The closest I came was a little volunteer work which has now come to an end, and even that was difficult to come by.

I realize that there are easily two hundred some odd people applying for the few table scraps of entry level positions that I have applied for.

As the market gets ever so saturated, one has to wonder what the future will hold for university and college graduates.

I can respect some people lauding certain degrees and diplomas for their financial worth, because what's the point of investing time and money if there is no return on your education investment?

Some occupations might be deemed recession proof like certain careers in medicine because people are always being born, getting sick, and getting old.

Right now there is a huge demand for tech graduates in the lucrative app development scene.

So much so that I regret my previous choice of post secondary education.

Should our choices be restricted to what is in demand career wise?

When I was in high school everyone was crazy for accounting, but I was not strong in math and did not desire accounting as a career.

Should there be a guarantee before even starting a college or university that you will get employment within a year after graduating?

I don't think you could realistically police and make such promises, but I will be sure and tell my children to do some research into whatever they want to study beyond high school in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment