Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Twister Blu-Ray Disc Review

Oh yeah the 90's. Vanilla Ice, spandex shorts, scrunches, and the movie Twister from 1994. Oh dear, I just dated myself nicely.

My darling wife bought me Twister on Blu-Ray and after watching it I was thoroughly impressed.

I remember having a copy on VHS and then the original DVD release and I will say that the VHS version was great, while the DVD version wasn't that much an improvement overall (see one of my previous posts) but the Blu-Ray is great.

Picture: Very clear with very little grain or issues associated with the analog source material. Colors are very good throughout for the most part. For example, because a majority of the film takes place outside, there is a lot of green which is quite vibrant. There were a few times though where I felt some colors were just a little bit on the flat side, but gorgeous black levels help make up for that.

Sound: A DolbyTrueHD 5.1 track will wow you. In the first act, where Joe's dad gets pulled out of the tornado shelter, the sound of wind howling and pounding fills the surround channels nicely and this holds true for all the scenes where the cast is chasing twisters. The soundtrack comes through nicely whether it is the orchestral score or songs from the 90's (pick it up, it's great!) and dialogue is crisp and clear with no need to do to much cranking between Bill Paxton yelling 'hold on' several times or quieter conversations between a few characters.

There are a lot of bonus features to choose form which round the disc out nicely if you are into that sort of thing.

Picture: 4 out of 5
Sound: 4.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment