Thursday, March 17, 2011

Random Thoughts ....

I often have random thoughts about things and I recently thought about time.

Specifically since I have become a parent and noticed a drastic reduction in alone time. This seems obvious, but in wake of both men and women entering in the workforce over the last 40 years or so, there seems to be a rise in complaints about the lack of time to either get things done and/or to have time to yourself or with someone else.

Time garners some of the truest cliches of all. If something is important we make the time for example. Well, be that as it may, in reality between, school, work, and parenting, it is hard to find time to eat in some cases.

My mother didn't work, and raised three boys while my dad worked feverishly. My older brother isn't working and is home with his son while his wife works because that makes the most sense for their individual situation. Perhaps the cluttered work schedules people have is at least partially correlated to the drop in income that the middle and lower classes have been seeing over the years, which necessitates more time for work, but that is another topic onto itself.

I guess my point is that if we want more time to be alone, with others, work, play, and raise children, something has to give. I say it doesn't take a village to raise a child. It takes the village time to raise a child while doing other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment