Friday, January 8, 2010

Oh, just before the new year begins here is a prorogie!

I want to go on the record and say I don't agree with Stephen Harper's decision to prorogue parliament till essentially the end of winter.

About a year ago, the word prorogue was on the lips of many Canadians and I was curious and intrigued by what proroguing parliament meant.

That was then and this is now. Stephen Harper's claim that he and his government need to 'recalibrate' as justification for proroguing parliament is not acceptable to me.

Why can't re calibration happen when parliament is sitting in the house of commons?

No debates, no legislation being passed, no federal government 'working' in the sense that most Canadians probably think when they envision elected officials working.

At minimum, every time parliament is prorogued, then all elected officials should forfeit a sum of their pay for the time they are not in parliament; especially the Conservatives since Canada now has a multi billion dollar debt to pay down.

Government cannot work if one person can decide to make it stop working whenever they 'feel' it is in their best interests or even when it is necessarily right!


1 comment:

  1. I heard on the radio that the Liberal MPs will be at work in Parliament, so that makes me happy. I'm thinking about writing to my local NDP MP to ask her to go into work as well. It's not right...we can't just decide to prorogue school because we want to "recalibrate".

    ReplyDelete